Dear readers,
Today I bring you an update to a new house that I completed. It was a rather short project as I used a house that I have already posted about for another family. However, I like to think that I go to great lengths that the house looks almost 'unrecognisable' with how I create the new family's home.
Today you are meeting a couple that I have spoken about once or twice on my blog and who I have enjoyed developing their characters for you. Here you are…
On a cold and blustery morning a brown parcel was put into the mail box at the bottom of the Chestnut's path to their home. Kaleb was watching as the postman pushed the front closed, fighting to keep to stop the mail box from opening. "Hrmph" Kaleb muttered as he saw the poor man drive away. Kaleb often just watched from the window and liked to judge the efficiency of the postman.
Over his shoulder, his wife rested her chin on the shoulder of well starched, and well worn, sailors jacket. "How has he done today?" She smiled but her husband couldn't see. "Well the north easterly wind makes all things quite difficult, if he'd have parked his van slightly more to the left he would have found that a lot easier." Valerie made what she called 'listening noises' at her husband. "It would help if he organised the van from where he is delivering first to where he is delivering last". Valerie stifled a snigger at this point. Kaleb rolled his eyes, "you always laugh at me when I talk about logistics!" This didn't help Valerie with her laughing. "It's because you are so awfully serious about it! You are so clearly bored Kaleb so you live vicariously through other people's job." Kaleb looked at his wife, who was emotionally more in tune than Kaleb had ever been, and plodded outside to get his post.
The thing was, was that Valerie was right. The couple lived on a small but weather beaten coastal town in a large house near the sea. They had lived here since they got married and had raised their children there too. Kaleb was seldom at home though. He had been the captain of a large boat the delivered fresh food to the rocky islands that surrounded Sylvania. He was used to giving orders, making calculated decisions and days that stretched into weeks at the helm of the ship. It was safe to say that retirement was quite 'rocky' for him.
Valerie, on the other hand, quite enjoyed the quiet life they had. What she didn't like was being far from where her grandchildren lived.
Kaleb slapped the back of his paw against the newspaper that had been in the parcel. "Well look at this Valerie" he scoffed. "We've been sent a three day old newspaper from our son". He made a lot of huffy noises before tossing it onto the kindling pile. Valerie again smiled. "Did you read his note?" She asked. "No, because I don't care for the news that is three days old". Valerie read her son's note which described a recent find in the newspaper. The find was a small cottage, by a river, perfect for a couple looking for somewhere peaceful but close enough to... Valerie couldn't believe her eyes. Evergreen Hollow.
"Kaleb Chestnut get your fluffy tail over here right now!" Valerie was jumping on the spot in excitement. "John has found a place for us, near a river!" Valerie was picturing being rowed down the river by her husband, collecting some fresh pastries before being rowed back to read on a picnic blanket. This, quite quickly, came tumbling down when Kaleb replied. "Real men row out at sea though, not rivers". "Kaleb I will clip the back of your ear if I hear anymore groaning".
The couple took the long car journey down to see their son and his family. Valerie was practically giddy with excitement and Kaleb was glad to don his driving gloves and get onto the open road. Valerie could see the change in her husband, his sense of adventure and logistically driven brain were whirring away.
After a reunion with their family, John took them to the cottage that he had found in the newspaper. Kaleb closely inspected the river, huffing and sniffing the air.
Valerie was besotted with the place. She adored the purple window frames and how close they were to a bubbling river.
John wanted curiously at his father, unsure at what the stones by the river had to do with the house tour. “Dad, are you ready to head inside?” Kaleb swivelled around “real men” “yes real men sail at sea we know Kaleb” interjected Valerie. “But a grandfather should be near his family” she said as she took his paw. “But I am a sailor and…” “I simply won’t hear it anymore Kaleb, change the record” she said with a smile. Kaleb knew he had lost this one, he just had to go along with his wife.
Valerie got the final say over the move and she decided that Evergreen Hollow was what her husband needed. He would adjust to the river and he couldn’t possibly be bored with six grandchildren. As you will see, Kaleb quickly gets over his fixation with 'real men sailing at sea'.
Here is their home…
Valerie has a small dresser to keep her clothes in as well.
He might have had a courageous career at the helm of a ship but in reality being with Valerie was all that mattered. And the constant, hectic life of having so many grandchild. That kept his logistical mind whirring!
I want to live there.x
ReplyDeleteMe too!! X
Delete