Wildflower Restaurant Renovation

 

Dear reader, 

I hope this post finds you albeit quite warm in this summer weather we are experiencing. Where I am it's quite humid which is quite unpleasant. However, the moments of sunshine and a gentle breeze are a lovely reminder of how lovely summer is. 

I have undertaken a larger project over the summer which I thought I would invite you to view before it is finished. As you might have read, I am always a little unsure on whether to share the 'in progress' moments as I do like my blog to look polished. However, in the spirit of frequent posts it isn't quite possible to always take photographs of scenes as they are quite time consuming. Not that I don't like them taking up my time, I enjoy it, but not realistic when this is a hobby and not my day job. 

During my spare time when I'm not renovating projects, or when I am actually renovating, I do love to watch YouTube on sylvanian related content. I particular favourite has been this series:

https://youtu.be/pOBwDJQO2VY?si=kBAB6BQ04b6WzmMf

I felt that this channel provided me with some new ideas to apply and I wanted to create an even more detailed house for my critters. 

My process for creating houses and shops, whatever the building that I have got to renovate has developed over the time to something like this. First, I decide who the building suits. Some of the more town house like buildings suit my smarter dressed animals. A cottage is more suited to a family that has clothes that fit in whimsical feeling of the house. After that, I start putting in furniture to map out the rooms and what can fit. I didn't use to do this and that meant that often what I thought worked in my head didn't work on paper. 

After mapping out the house, I start painting the rooms or looking at the furniture. By now I've got quite a collection of furniture that I've painted. What I wanted to do this time was create something that looked used and well loved. I wanted even more immersive images. So I took some furniture that I really loved and looked at the house, then at the figures who will live there, and started changing the furniture. 

I am always careful that the furniture is not so bespoke that I would struggle to use it again. That would be wasteful! What I mean is, I have some families that have rather bold clothes and if I painted their furniture to be bold as well, then it would not fit in with the majority of the other villagers.

So here is what I have so far...

First is the new, and currently still available, living room set. I got this set because I liked the pink fabric but you can also use that as a template to use your own fabric. The sofa now looks a lot more cosy and life like to me. 


The fabric was a bit slippy so it doesn't quite fit snug around the plastic frame. However, I like the fact it looks saggy like it's been sat on a lot. 


Painting it also pulled out a lot of the details. 


I especially like the flowers on the back. 


This dining chairs and table were already painted grey. I wanted to make them a bit brighter and to look like a table that had been used for generations of baking and cooking. 


The cream makes it looks a lot less dark when situated in a room. 

The tabletop now looks more worn as well. 


Next is the screen that came with the conservatory set. It was just a plain light brown before and I felt it looked boring when it was in a room. So I never actually used it until I needed to in the new restaurant. 


Now it looks so much more sophisticated. 

Next is the old country kitchen set which is my favourite kitchen set!

I feel like it now looks like a proper country kitchen, well used!


And the oven was 'aged' as well so it didn't look too white compared to the cabinets. 

And finally, a bureau that I used in my beechwood wall renovation was aged as well. Before it was just cream and I feel the tinge of brown pulls out its ornate nature.


I hope you have enjoyed this post about my current projects. I really love how the furniture looks! 


All the best, 
Helly 

Comments

Post a Comment